I have recently made a discovery. I have found that I am terribly inefficient in using computer tools. Surprise! I am not ashamed to tell anyone that I spend up to 3 hours in front of the computer screen (more probably after I was bought an LCD-TFT screen). This 3 hours is on days when I am very busy with college and work. On a typical holiday I might spend 5 to 6 hours at least. There is an old maxim that says, "Practice makes perfect.", which should mean that with each passing hour spent on the computer I would gain more experience. It is quite to the contrary, my observations show me. And, silly me, I took so long to observe this inefficiency.
This inefficiency came to light recently while doing a project for IBM. I found myself taking half a day to do what my team-mate did in less than half an hour. Here are the facts.
1. The very fact that computers make it easy for you to remember things works against me. I have taken for granted that the computer will complete it for me.
2. The internet has spoilt me. I no longer commit important facts to memory but say to myself, "Ah. It's there on the internet. Why remember?"
3. I had certain inhibitions about using the computer for a long time. This was sometime ago. Back then I decided (and took an oath) that I should stop learning more about computers since they were taking too much of my time. I was thinking of other things in which I could better spend my time. But it so happens that I, despite this oath, still spend 3 hours everyday nonetheless! Which is better : 3 hours learning something in computers or 3 hours learning nothing?
After carefully considering the facts I have decided to take corrective measures which are summarized below.
1. To drop the idea of not learning about computers and start learning instead.
2. To begin where I left in learning the languages MATLAB, python and, maybe, Java.
So, that's it!
P.S. : Watch out for my website that might surface soon ;)
Update to P.S. : My website is all ready but I have no place to put it, especially after Google says it is shutting down Googlepages :( So this is not going to happen now.